One of the most frequent renovations, and/ or repairs, many homeowners, perform/ have performed, is changing, repairing, or replacing their windows. This may be done, for design – reasons, structural, cosmetic, and/ or energy – related, reasons, but, regardless of the reasoning and purposes/ intentions, it makes sense, to decide wisely, and choose, sensibly, and in a way, which serves and addresses, your needs, goals, and purposes. With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly review, examine, consider, and discuss, 6 factors, to consider, to proceed, in the best possible manner.
1. Changes, or replacements: Will you be changing the location, size, etc, of your windows, or will, these be, simply, direct replacements? Many locations require building permits, to do these, and, often, there is no fee (or a far smaller one) for direct replacement, ones, than when there are structural alterations. In addition, will you be changing all of the existing ones, or some, because, you would want, the appearance, to be coordinated, and make sense?
2. Materials used: There are many different materials used, in manufacturing these items. This includes, not only, the type of glass, but also, the panes, supporting materials, etc. Will you be, best – served, with double – hung types, thermal, storm – windows, etc? What supporting structures will you prefer – wood, vinyl, or some hybrid/ composite? Each has certain advantages, as well as weaknesses, including insulating ability, endurance, maintenance, etc.
3. Types: What type will you seek to use? Do you want a picture – window, sliding ones, double – hung, or some other types? Which might best serve your needs, priorities, goals, purposes, and pocketbook?
4. How mounted?: Are you replacing your windows, for cosmetic, structural, design, or energy – related, reasons? How will these be mounted, and by whom? How will they be installed, sealed, etc? Will they reduce heat – waste, and save you energy costs, and make your living conditions, more comfortable, and enjoyable?
5. Brand differences: Review the technical reports, and determine which brand, type, etc, is for you. Weigh various factors, including performance and affordability. Determine if the extra costs of a specific brand, in the longer – run, actually, provides, the best, bang – for – the – buck!
6. Direction faced: Often, it is wise, to use different types of windows, depending on their location. While one generally wants all, to fit – in, cosmetically, it often, makes sense, to use, specific tints, etc, to address factors, such as southern – facing, heat – needs in winter, as well as cooling needs, in summer!
Since, for most homeowners, their house represents, their single – biggest, financial asset, doesn’t it make sense, to make the wisest possible decisions, when making any changes? Hopefully, this brief article, will assist you, in focusing properly, on your needs, expectations, and personal priorities, as well as what, you might be able, to afford.
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands, conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades, and a RE Licensed Salesperson, for a decade+. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. Website:
http://PortWashingtonLongIslandHouses.com”>http://PortWashingtonLongIslandHouses.com and LIKE the Facebook page for real estate: